I recently saw the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney in NYC. I love Hopper. As I found myself transported into
Early Sunday Morning, I seemed to be doing so to a Tom Waits soundtrack. I later realized, over the course of twenty five years of listening to Tom (after all that time, I don't think he'd mind me calling him Tom) I would frequently think of his music while looking at art. Be it Hopper, or Pollock, or even and not to any lesser extent, Cassius Coolidge.
![]() |
| Jackson Pollock Number 31, 1950 |
![]() |
| Cassius Coolidge A Friend In Need |
Tom's music moves me. Ever since first hearing Heart of Saturday Night I needed more. I couldn't wait to see how he'd evolve–and as I indeed would myself–I happened on a soundtrack for my life.
From barroom lothario to circus announcer, Tom has created an entire world of possibilities. A world where misfits rule and the broken hearted hope. What more can any artist hope for?



No comments:
Post a Comment