March 6, 2011

Born On This Day

These two men have had a huge impact on my life.

Michelangelo Buonarrotti (1475-1564)




Poem 62, ca. 1532 


Sol pur col foco l fabbro il ferro stende
al concetto suo caro e bel lavoro,
ne' senza foco alcuno artista l'oro
al sommo grado suo raffina e rende;
ne' l'unica fenice se' riprende 
se non prim'arsa; ond'io, s'ardendo moro,
spero piu' chiar resurger tra coloro
che morte accresce e 'l tempo non offende.
Del foco, di ch' i' parlo, ho gran ventura
c'ancor per rinnovarnmi abbi in me loco,
sendo gia' quasi nel numer de' morti.
O ver, s'al cielo ascende per natura,
al suo elemento, e ch'io converso in foco
sie, come fie che seco non mi porti?

 Only with fire can the smith shape iron 
 from his conception into fine, dear work;  
 neither, without fire, can any artist 
 refine and bring gold to its highest state, 
 nor can the unique phoenix be revived 
 unless first burned. And so, if I die burning, 
 I hope to rise again brighter among those 
 whom death augments and time no longer hurts. 
 I'm fortunate that the fire of which I speak 
 still finds a place within me, to renew me, 
 since already I'm almost numbered among the dead; 
 or, since by its nature it ascends to heaven,  
 to its own element, if I should be transformed  
 into fire, how could it not bear me up with it? 

Michelangelo Buonarrotti

*****


Lou Costello (1906-1959)



No comments: