The following is a transcript of a conversation the author of this blog had with that voice in his head on the way to work one morning:
Voice: Alright, I know– this thing turned a year old and we didn't do anything about it– get over it. People are busy! They didn't notice.
Nat: Well, it's just we've done a lot in a year. I think it's been quite a success. It's helped me sort out some ideas in my head– it's got me off my ass to follow through on some creative projects. It's got me to find my inner voice...
Voice: Hey– blogger boy! I've been here the entire time! What's this "find my inner voice" bit?
Nat: I was referring to my writer's voice. I'm no English major, but...
Voice: You're no English MINOR buddy! But while I'm interrupting, I need to get something off my chest. I'm tired of my anonymity! After all, I am my own man! Well you know what I mean. I want to be referred to something other than the "Voice" in your head. It's always about YOU! Can you be a little less heartless...?
Nat: I can't believe you're starting in on this again!
Voice: Well– let's see... Without me, you'd be wandering around aimlessly in the dark forest of your mind, alone and....... That's it!
Nat: What's "it"?! Oh no... you can't be serious? And they call me narcissistic!
Voice: I'm very serious! I am the Virgil to your Dante! Well.. not Dante– Geez, you're not even...
Nat: I get it, I get it! It figures I'd have an alter ego named Virgil...
Voice: And what's wrong with it?
Nat: Nothing! It's very... masculine...
Voice: What do you know about masculine? I'm going to kick your...
Nat: Take it easy! Virgil... Can we get back to business? I just think with FM turning a year old, it would be nice to somehow thank everyone who check in and make us a small part of their day.
Virgil: You know they're just being nice. Frankly, I'd rather watch "The Price is Right " reruns on the Game Show Network. Back when Bob had dark hair– and remember Holly? She was just so...
Nat: Do you mind?
Virgil: Right...sorry.
Nat:I really appreciate everyone's support and enthusiasm over the past year and I hope to ramp things up a little more. You know– a little more intensity. In search of the true gonzo!
Virgil: You know you need help, right?
3 comments:
Your inner voice has a "don't speak unless spoken to" thing going. Which, if you think on it, makes complete sense. Is your inner voice taking your last name? Happy one year! It's been fun!
Virgil...? I thought it said "Virgin." Whew!
Madonna...is that you?
Post a Comment