Just a note to say the
gallery(n) annex (aka–the
Tumblr blog) is actually no longer a
Tumblr blog. I transferred the entire site to the
Blogger platform and can now be found
here. It's not that I don't like the
Tumblr platform– I do. The themes are really slick and minimal, and they are very intuitive to use. In this fast paced world of social media, a simple click of your mouse on a "like" button can create a whole world of "friends" and "followers" (
good things- for the most part!) as well as open new avenues for being seen or heard. Though I found Tumblr to be a community of some really talented people, I also found it to be geared to those who find "liking" and being "liked" enough. Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed the fact some of my images were being "reblogged" by others (some of which were by some pretty colorful characters). That's better than "liking"– it's saying to fellow bloggers–
psst, hey this is pretty cool! But there in lies the problem. It's communicating with fellow bloggers– leaving everyone else who may not be interested in creating yet
another account– out of the conversation. I rather like hearing from visitors– in their own words– how they like (and I don't mean
"like") a blog post or image. I like the conversation, even if it is only in a few words. It makes the forum feel more like a
real community, where people of many interests and ideas, feel welcomed to participate.
So, as always, thanks for checking in! It's always nice to here from you, so please feel free to leave a comment!
1 comment:
Ah I totally agree! I was on tumblr for about 2 days and dropped out. it's purely a reposting site, which as you say is cool, but it feels unoriginal to me. there are some really nicely curated tumblrs, and I'll continue to follow them, but it's not for me personally. that said, I do think blogger can learn a lot from the community-building features that are worked right in to the tumblr platform... xo =mew=
Post a Comment